How To Get Rid Of Sugar Ants
Effective Products on How To Get Rid Of Sugar Ants
How to get rid of ants? Ants are probably the most common creatures that are found in forests, gardens, yards and even houses. They form colonies and often enter your kitchen by searching for water and food. There are many species of ants, and one of them is the ant, that is categorized in three categories: little black ants, Pharaoh and Pavement. The ants received their name because of their attraction to sweet stuff, even though they can also eat fatty food and bread. Describing the typical appearance of ants is quite difficult because they do not look alike. The sizes of the ants range between 2 and 15 mm, and colors vary from deep black and orange-brown. ants are especially active in springtime, and they may take over an area in your house very quickly. If your home was ever invaded by these ants, you definitely know how annoying it is and have probably tried already many different methods for eradicating them. If you need help identifying ants, you can check our other articles about it. You don’t need an exterminator prevent, destroy, and eliminate different types of ant species. There are treatment products such as repellent to kill ants. For those who still wonder how you can kill and prevent the infestation of ants quickly and effectively, we have created this guide with some useful tips and recommendations.
- STARTS KILLING LISTED INSECTS FAST: Ortho Home Defense Max Ant, Roach and Spider1 starts to kill listed insects fast and helps protect your house from indoor bugs you can see, and those you can't
- NO-FUME SPRAY: Formulated to kill indoor insects, including ants, beetles, roaches and spiders while not leaving behind any sticky residue; formula dries quickly
- LONG LASTING SPRAY: Long lasting spray starts to kill existing indoor insects fast, while creating a residual barrier to keep ants, roaches and spiders from entering your home for up to one year (when used on nonporous surfaces)
- ANGLED SPRAY: The sprayer works at any angle--even upside down--and lets you reach into the tiniest cracks, crevices and other hard to reach places where insects hide
- USE INDOORS: Kill insects anywhere in your home, including kitchens, family rooms & pantries; starts to kill insects fast after you see activity & works as a preventative treatment to keep killing ants, roaches & spiders indoors on nonporous surfaces
- Ortho Home Defense Liquid Ant Bait kills ants inside your home; kills the colony and the queen; thirsty ants are lured in and then share the liquid bait throughout their colonies for maximum kill
- No Mess: The satisfying snap of our patented Clean Snap Technology ant traps means zero mess; bait stations mean you are ready to go - no scissors or ripping eliminates drips
- Continuous Protection Formula: Our liquid ant bait is an effective way to deliver bait to the colony; the combination of food, water and insecticide lures hungry and thirsty ants to the stations
- Maximum Kill: With delayed killing action, ants dutifully share the liquid bait to target the entire colony, queen and larvae - killing ants you see and those you don't
- Easy-To-Use: Kill common household ants; place wherever ants are found inside your home; use with confidence in kitchens and bathrooms; for best results use all 6 stations
Figure out how ants enter your house
Before you start addressing your problem with ants and figure how to get rid of ants, your primary and the most important task is finding out how they actually enter your home. The ants have many different points of entry, including:
- Foundation. If there are any cracks in your house’s foundation, it allows these tiny ants more easily enter your home.
- Doors. They also can be considered a perfect entry for ants, especially those that open on the outside and have a poor seal on it.
- Utility lines. Have you ever noticed that there are dozens of small holes in your house’s walls for connections to the outside? Phone outlets, electrical outlets, plumbing, and some others – they all are perfect openings that allow not only utilities but also ants to enter your house.
- Floor. You probably do not know this, but ants may crawl underneath the floor of your house, which also includes carpeting.
How to remove and get rid of ants?
How to remove ants? Baiting is probably the most reliable and effective way of how to get rid of ants. Not just to kill ants but also to eliminate the entire sugar ant colony. The idea of baiting is that you use a special poisonous substance that ants take back to their family as food. Once the substance is ingested, it will instantly kill the ants. It is one of the few methods that allow the killing of a large number of ants including their queen. One of the main challenges in using this method lies in how to choose the right and the most effective bait. Thus, it is recommended to use slow-acting baits rather than quick-kill substances. Experience shows that quick-kill insecticides kill only foraging ants, which does not allow them to bring the bait back to their sugar ant colony and feed other ants, including nest workers, brood and of course the queen. By choosing the bait, understanding of the nutritional needs of the sugar ant colony is important. Since sugar ant have an attraction for sweet and fatty food, the best choice for killing them will be a grease/fat-based bait, carbohydrate/-based bait, or protein-based bait. how to get rid of black carpenter ants ?
One of the most common minerals used nowadays for baiting and killing sugar ant is borax. It is known as the mineral found in deserts of California. It is non-toxic for people but is very poisonous to ants as it kills them instantly. It falls within the category of slow-acting baits that is usually mixed with sweet food to kill the critters, such as for example, so ants can bring it back to their sugar ant colonies and then spread among its members.Another chemical that is also used for baiting when getting rid of ants is boric acid. It is also quite an effective in killing and non-toxic mineral for humans that is mixed with different sweets and then used for exterminating entire sugar ant colonies. For the best results in killing ants, you should consider mixing boric acid with mint jelly, honey, maple syrup, or peanut butter. Our guide for the best frog repellent .
However, choosing and creating a perfect bait for killing ants is not all. It is also important to choose a good location for it. How to kill sugar ant? The best solution will be to place the bait near entry points of ants that have been already mentioned above.
Get Rid Of Ants With Ant Trap
Instead of baiting and killing ants, you can also trap these creatures that are invading your home. For trapping ants, it is recommended to choose any sticky and sweet substance, such as corn syrup or honey for example. The idea of trapping ants is that the insects will stick in the substance by being not able to get out, which gives you a chance of destroying them. However, if you decide to use ant traps, you should understand that it is not baiting: trapping kills only a certain amount of ants, while the sugar ant colony remains alive. You may also want to read how do you get rid of horse flies .
Get Rid Of Ants With Whole cloves
Whole cloves are often used nowadays for getting rid of many insects including ants. The thing is that ants do not like the smell of whole cloves, so you should use them in the places of ants’ entry and in the location with the most traffic of these insects. The best thing about whole cloves is that they do not only help in repelling ants, but also make your home smell much better and nicer.
Get Rid Of Ants With Bay Leaves
If you a proponent of natural ways of getting rid of sugar ant, then you should think about using bay leaves. Moreover, it is also one of the simplest ways of killing sugar ants because all you should do is place the bay leaves in the spots where the insects emerge from. Since it is one of the most effective ways for eradicating ants, after some time you will not notice any ant. The best thing about the method of using bay leaves for ants is that it leaves your house absolutely clean from any sticky or messy substances. The best locations for placing bay leaves for ants are the counter, drawer, a kitchen cupboard, and cracks.
Get Rid Of Ants With Cornmeal
If you want to kill ants, consider offering them the kind of food that may not be easily digested, and cornmeal is a perfect example of sugar ant killer. Attracted by the sweetness of this food, sugar ant may not digest cornmeal, and they may expand and, as a result, they die of expansion. The use of cornmeal is good against ants because it can kill the entire sugar ant colonies. Also, since ants will bring pieces of cornmeal for their sugar ant colony members. Moreover, since cornmeal is absolutely safe for your children and pets, you do not worry that they will eat poisonous stuff.
Get Rid Of Ants With Soapy Water
Soapy water is one more simple and effective ways for getting rid of annoying and stubborn ants. Soapy water does not only kill the ants but also it prevents them from following the same way for entering your house that they have used before. The ants repellent recipe is easy: mix one spoon of dish soap with clear water and put it into a spraying bottle. In order to kill the critters, you should just spritz them with this soapy water, and your house will be free from the ants.
Keep your kitchen and floors as clean as possible
After you finish eating do no wait until morning before washing dishes. A good idea is also to run white vinegar down the disposal facilities which keeps it as clean as possible and it serves as a repellent for sugar ants. With regards to floors, it is very important to vacuum them regularly to kill ants. Those who neglect doing it should know that ants love with crumbs of all type of food, even if it is not sweet. Using a vacuum cleaner frequently helps in the cleaning those crumbs that are visible around the house thereby taking away the food source of ants. It is also effective for killing ants if you wash and sweep floors with vinegar mixed with water.
Get Rid Of Ants With Coffee grounds
Many people throw out coffee grounds without knowing or realizing how useful it can be in removing sugar ants. Some people say that the main reason of it is a very strong smell of coffee that repels the insects, while others believe in the effect of nitrogen contained in coffee grounds that kills the eggs of ants. Whatever the reason, using coffee grounds is a perfect way of killing sugar ants without involving toxic chemicals.
Get Rid Of Ants With An Exterminator
If you have already tried all the methods described above but sugar ant are still crawling all over your house, then there is probably one option left for you is call an exterminator. An exterminator is a specialist, who will not only kill all the ants but will also find and destroy their nest. Since repelling ants is a long process, it might be good to make recourse to a professional exterminator, who will be able to clear your house from ants completely in the shortest possible time.